Is the Ultimate Car Cave Necessary?
Magazines and websites constantly highlight the spectacular garages of the rich and famous. Granted, it would be nice to have the ultimate car cave but would you really get any more work done on your cars if you have one? Let your garage envy work for you! Get inspired to create the garage you really need for your car collection.
Home to Your Prized Possessions
For car collectors the garage is likely a private escape from a hectic world. It is home to your prized possessions – your cars. Is your garage space living up to its potential? Is it just for storage or does it double as a workshop? Determine what you want to use it for and go from there.
Think Outside the Box
The phrase “location, location, location” applies to garages as well as real estate. A garage that’s attached to your home is convenient, but your expansion potential is probably limited. In parking starved New York, comedian Jerry Seinfeld converted an old factory into a multi-level state-of-the-art garage. Too expensive for you? Our point is – think outside the storage box.
Convert Unused Structures into Dream Garages
If you are planning to add to your collection but your existing garage will not suffice, then look around for creative ways to convert unused structures into the facility you need. You can also consider going in with other local collectors if you find a building that is more than you alone need.
Now that you are thinking outside the garage, stop thinking one dimensionally. Can’t expand out, then go up. Many collectors use car lifts in their garages to expand storage capacity. Why not also add spaces below? Some ultimate garages have dug down to add hidden space for cars.
8 Steps to Redesign and Redefine Your Garage
Separate storage and repair space is a luxury many don’t have, so consider redesigning what you do. These features will help your garage reach its potential:
- Purge – Relocate anything that isn’t car related. Move the lawn mower elsewhere to free up space.
- Organize – Designate specific areas for repairs, detailing, and storage. Have a good workbench, tool storage, and internet access (for manuals). Use wall space and even ceiling space for storage.
- Heating/Cooling/Air Quality – Invest in insulation and proper heating and cooling. Make sure there is proper ventilation. Air quality is important when working around chemicals. Opt for a dust collection system.
- Power – You can never have enough electrical outlets. Wire for both 120 and 220V. Over loading existing plugs and running extension cords is a potential fire hazard.
- Lighting – Most garages have overhead florescent lights that cast shadows. Install track lighting over your work table and keep stand-alone work lamps available to help illuminate tight spaces.
- Flooring – Many garages have epoxy covered floors, which are easy to install and to clean. Rubber floor tiles are also a good choice because they make standing for long periods easier on the body.
- Security – Protecting your collector cars is always important. If you have an off-site garage, be sure to check it frequently. Invest in a good security system no matter where you keep your cars. Expensive tools should be stored away or locked down after use, making them harder to steal.
- Creature Comforts – This is a no-brainer. Decorating your garage will make it more appealing to visitors and a happier place for you to work. If space allows, add comfortable seating, a refrigerator, and a TV. You spend as much time in this space as you do in your home, so why shouldn’t it be a relaxing retreat?
It’s Your Space – Get Creative
Over-the-top garages do not make you a better collector. Our love of cars is the driving force behind why we collect. The garage is simply four walls that protect what we care about. What you make of your space is up to you. With a little creativity your garage can reach its true potential.
Collector and Classic Car Insurance for Less
Have questions about the best way to protect your car collection? Give us a call and we’ll be happy to help you find the best insurance coverage for your automobiles. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff can also help you find the right policy for your needs. Visit our website at www.classicins.com and see how we can help safeguard your dream car.