Are you in the market for a car? If so, you might be asking yourself a couple of questions. Should you invest in a classic car or a new, modern vehicle? Are classic cars reliable? Is an old car better than a new car?
Let’s take some time to work through these questions and find out if classic cars are better than new cars or vice versa.
What is Considered a Classic Car?
The words “vintage” and “classic” to describe vehicles are often thrown around interchangeably. Even the word “antique” can be added to the mix. Let’s start with some definitions to clarify any misconceptions about what periods of time these categories represent.
First, an antique car is defined as a vehicle over 45 years old. Vintage cars are ones built between 1919 and 1930. And the term classic refers to vehicles over 20 years old.
Modern cars have differences in technology compared to classic vehicles. Technologically, newer cars usually contain sensors, a central computer, and sophisticated systems.
8 Reasons Why You Should Buy an Old Car vs. a New Car
As you go about your research to determine what car to buy and consider are classic cars reliable, check out these 8 reasons it’s better to invest in an old, classic car vs. a new, modern one.
- Simplicity: Generally speaking, classic cars are simpler. There are no computers, no complicated wiring, fewer knobs and buttons. And they’re roomy, so they are comfortable to work in and under. As a result, many people buy classic cars as a project they can work on at home.
- Size and Weight: It is no secret that newer cars weigh more than their older counterparts, mainly due to all the equipment installed to run them. Since its inception, the Mini has nearly doubled in weight, the VW Golf has grown by about 500 mm in length, and the Porsche 911 has gotten about 100 mm wider. Many classic cars are smaller in size and weight, which can improve overall performance.
- No Driver Aids: Most new cars come with driver aids, such as traction control, stability control, and anti-lock brakes. Indeed, these items can make the car easier to drive. But, without them, in a classic car, for example, you get to enjoy the true feeling of driving a car without any help. You get to experience the vehicle in its truest form.
- Fuel Economy: It’s true that modern, or newer, cars claim to be more fuel-efficient. However, if you actually take a look at many classic vehicles’ smaller engines, you’ll find that they are just as, if not more, economical on fuel.
- Reasonably Priced: It may come as a surprise to you, but classic cars are actually reasonably priced, not to mention an excellent investment. Usually, with a new car, you have to finance it, which means you end up paying way more for the vehicle in the long run. But with classic cars, you can find them at a much lower price than new 4-door sedans that everyone is driving. Plus, a classic car has fewer complicated components, making them easier and less expensive to maintain.
- Appreciation: New cars depreciate the moment they are driven off the lot. That’s not the case with classic cars. In fact, they appreciate over time, making them a great investment. Plus, if you improve the condition of the classic vehicle while it’s in your possession, you could eventually sell it for a profit.
- Style: One of the most obvious reasons to own an old car vs. a new car is how stylish it looks. Turn heads wherever you go, as people will be captivated at seeing your classic car drive down the road or parked in a lot somewhere. So many new cars look the same, but pull up next to a modern Corvette in your Classic Corvette, and yours is likely to get more attention. Consider a classic car if you want a vehicle to stand out!
- Insurance: Classic car auto insurance tends to be less expensive than a new vehicle. A classic or collector car insurance policy is far cheaper than a modern one, especially when taken out with a company that specializes in classic insurance, like Classic Auto Insurance.
Dependable Classic Auto Insurance
So, now that we have reviewed all the reasons to buy a classic car and answered the question “are classic cars reliable?”, you need to know how to insure it to protect your solid investment. You want someone you can trust and who’s been in the business for a long time.
With over 25 years as a leader in affordable classic and collector car insurance, Classic Auto Insurance is where you should turn. They have flexible mileage plans and roadside assistance. Plus, clients love that their policies are based on an agreed-upon value and not the stated value of the car.
Give them a call today at 888-901-1338 to see how they can help insure the classic car of your dreams. Or, reach us online to get a quote.