The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) is the largest racing organization worldwide. The organization sets rules for drag races and hosts numerous events across the United States and Canada. Since its founding in 1951, the NHRA has expanded significantly. Their roster currently has over 40,000 drivers. With its rich history, growing membership, and frequent events, the NHRA is a great organization for car enthusiasts in North America.
The History of the National Hot Rod Association
The NHRA was founded in 1951 by Wally Parks, the editor of Hot Rod magazine. He created the organization in order to provide hot rod drivers with safe events and promote camaraderie among car enthusiasts. Within its first year, the NHRA drew in over 25,000 members, and it accumulated 57,000 members within six years.
In addition to promoting hot rods through races and communal events, the NHRA also worked with Hot Rod magazine in order to promote positive publicity for hot rod vehicles. The general public and authorities often associated hot rod drivers with reckless driving and street racing. Hot Rod magazine and the NHRA created videos and held a nationwide “Drag Safari” tour to promote driver safety.
NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series
The National Hot Rod Association began holding the world drag racing series in 1965. The event was previously sponsored by Coca-Cola, but in 2020, the NHRA entered a sponsorship deal with Camping World.
The NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series is composed of different competition classes, including Top Fuel Dragster, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and Pro Stock Motorcycle. The Top Fuel Dragsters race features vehicles with some of the fastest accelerators in the world. Vehicles in the Top Fuel Dragsters races reach up to 335 miles per hour.
A few notable racers who have participated in the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series include Shirley Muldowney, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, and Don “The Snake” Prudhomme.
Membership and Upcoming Events
NHRA membership includes ticket deals, access to the NHRA Membership Hospitality Center, and a subscription to the NHRA National Dragster magazine. Membership also includes additional exclusive benefits.
Whether you’re a member of the NHRA or if you’re interested in exciting races, keep on the lookout for these upcoming NHRA events:
- Lucas Oil NHRA Winternationals – Auto Club Raceway at Pomona – Pomona, CA – Feb. 17-20
- NHRA Arizona National – Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park – Chandler, AZ – Feb. 25-27
- AMALIE Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals – Gainesville Raceway – Gainesville, FL – March 10-13
- NHRA Four-Wide Nationals – The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway – Las Vegas, NV – April 1-3
- Mopar Express Lane NHRA Spring Nationals – Houston Raceway Park – Baytown, TX – April 22-24
- Virginia NHRA Nationals – Virginia Motorsports Park – North Dinwiddie, VA – May 13-15
- NHRA New England Nationals – New England Dragway – Epping, NH – June 3-5
- NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals – Bristol Dragway – Bristol, TN – June 17-19
- Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals – Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park – Norwalk, OH – June 23-26
For more upcoming events, you can visit the NHRA’s 2022 Schedule and Tickets page here.