With this summer’s heat wave scorching most of the country, it is crucial to pay closer attention to the care of vintage vehicles such as classic cars and motorcycles. Taking precautions in hot weather is just as important as winterizing but is less frequently discussed.
Car shows and cruising events are a big part of summer fun when you own a classic car, but there are several key areas that need extra consideration when the temperature is on the rise. Some components to check are
- Battery – Excessive heat can lead to battery drain as well as evaporation of battery fluid.
- Tires – Underinflated tires can cause overheating and blowouts more easily with higher road temperatures.
- Fluids – Oil, transmission fluid, braking fluid, and coolant should all be at optimum levels to keep parts lubricated and keep the car running cool.
- Hoses/belts – These can become brittle or cracked in the heat.
- Exterior – Keep your car clean and waxed to avoid dirt or other debris from baking into the paint finish. Use a car cover when not displaying.
These are just a few of the ways to keep your vintage car running and looking its best in the summer heat. Before you head out for your next cruise, however, make sure that you have Collector Auto Insurance to give your car the ultimate in protective coverage. We even offer standard roadside assistance to get your classic back on the road in case it does break down in the summer sun. Get your instant classic car insurance quote online today!
About the Author
Drew Yagodnik is Vice President of Classic Automobile Insurance Agency, Inc. Classic Automobile Insurance Agency has been protecting collector, classic and exotics since 1992.